Thursday, September 30, 2010

I want the government out of my life too--the confessions of a non-Tea Party patriot by Justin

I want the government out of my life too. I want them to stop installing black boxes on my cars and stop GPS tracking my phone. I want them to stop reading my email messages--I want them to stop listening to my phone calls--I want them to stop tracking my web browsing--I want the corporations that supply the government with data for these requests to be held accountable for their actions--I want the government to stop treating me like a terrorist at the airport. I want them to take down the surveillance cameras--the cameras that don't catch the bad guys, but that catch the millions and millions of good guys going about their daily private lives--they've put up on roads, on buildings, in schools, and in Time Square. I want the assurance that the government, precluded from doing so both by principle and by law, cannot track and record my life and behavior. I want my privacy back--I want them to stop demanding papers and identification--I want them to stop tracking me with my driver license, student ID, and bus pass. I want them to destroy their biometric databases and stop giving in to the temptations to subjugate my life to the literal dictates of a machine--a machine which threatens to supplant moral and legal authority vested in government officers bound by solemn and sacred oaths. Once the machine has replaced all those living, thinking, doubting humans, it only needs a single totalitarian dictator to be run.

I want them to stop squandering my tax money and their Chinese bonds and my family's future on premium government surveillance infrastructure: buildings, labs, technologies, and list of acronyms which no one this side of heaven seems to fully know. I want them to stop playing the spy games. I want them to stop impressing my friends into the FBI and the army by tempting them with the allure of grandeur and mystery when all they have to offer them is a vapid brand of world dominance and sordid espionage debauchery. I want them to stop selling these putrid ideals under the brand of patriotism. I want them to repeal the (anti-)patriot act--I want them to repeal the DMCA--and I want Hatch to pay the price for being the fool to sponsor these misdeeds. I want them to take back their constitutional trespasses. I want my legislators to take charge and hold government accountable to the people again.

I want them to stop politicizing scientific issues. I want them to stop politicizing trivial issues. I want them to stop lying to me that the founding fathers were homogeneous in belief and unified in action in order to bolster their own treacherous, asinine cabal of political complicity and silence opposition by invoking founding fathers and claiming them as their own anointed political patrimony. I want them to stop pretending that their constitutional interpretations are the only valid ones. I want them to stop denying the bill of rights to foreigners. I want them to stop lying to themselves and to me about how all of this self-granted power is to track down terrorists and pedophiles, when now it's just so convenient to go after ordinary murders and felons and illegal immigrants with the same air of constitutionally dismissive expedience. When will it be me that they go after? The Mormon, the scientist, the independent, the satirist, the skeptic, the antipatriot, the objector, the civil disobedient?

Once any of these yields his sacred sovereignty unto what has turned out to be only the appearance of safety from one spectre while resulting in a most clear and immediate danger from another more treacherous, more cunning, and more damning, he has forfeited both his liberty and his safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment